[GTALUG] Thinkpad [2] : Power malfunction on suspend; faster suspend to disk?

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:41:06 EDT 2016

Another thinkpad issue, this one more serious: when I suspend to ram, my
Thinkpad T440s sometimes has a serious power malfunction. While suspend
generally succeeds, at some point the pulsing power light on the lid goes
out and it’s no longer possible to power on the laptop. I have to open the
lid, disconnect the internal bettery, and generally also hit the internal
power reset button. I can then restart, but of course lose all my work. At
first this happened about once a month, then once a week, and now it
happens several times a day.

   1. Anyone else having this issue? And do you know what actually causes
   it, and if it can be fixed? I’ve searched online and there are various
   threads about it, but I haven’t found any actionable information. Recently
   updated my BIOS and changed some BIOS settings, but to no apparent effect.
   2. As a workarond, I’ve just switched from suspend-to-ram to hybrid
   suspend, which writes an image to disk before suspending to ram. (Took me a
   long time to do this, because I had no swap partition & my main partition
   was encrypted, so I had to resize the encrypted partition, ettc.) This
   seems to work! Yay! However, suspend-to-disk is really slow. In the old
   days I used Txonice for hibernaion, but that project has really slowed down
   in the last few years. Is anyone still using it? How about uswsusp? Is
   either one compatible with the systemd hibernation commands? My experience
   with tuxonice was that it was abot 5 times faster than native hibernation,
   so I’d really like to compress the disk image

Thanks again!

Matt