[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:59:53 EDT 2016

Sent from mobile.
On Jun 14, 2016 9:56 PM, "Peter Hiscocks via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> > Modern motor controllers can be quite tolerant of significant voltage
> > variation.  However, I doubt they're changing the voltage.
>
> I'm not a power systems engineer, but it could be that changing the supply
> voltage would be a matter of changing taps on a transformer.
>
> As for flag day - I remember as a kid when there was a changeover to 60Hz
> in the hydro system. (Was it 20Hz before that? Something much lower.)
> Anyway, every electric motor in the house had to be changed. Must have
> cost a fortune.

Had another power out at my building. Just long enough to flip a few
switches. The TTC line is hot now so that's probably not it. Although they
did say they were going to run a streetcar on it soon.

I think this one is probably the result of seasonal switching as they leg
out the grid at the CNE grounds for the Indy etc...

As the uuid corruptions I experience only seem to affect the secondary
disk, I just mount it as needed.

I get a SSRT error 16 on the unmounted ATA3 but the system fscks and boots
without having to force it manually.

I've popped several previous motherboard living here, but the drives seem
to survive and I kind of like the view down ft Roulle st and watching the
windmill. I resist the temptation to attribute any of the electrical
anomalies I have experienced to it's operations, but it does get a little
eerie when the thing is pointed right at you and something happens. :-)