[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:12:45 EDT 2016

<snip>
> > grounds in the spring, I experience brown-outs quite often.
>
> That sounds fun.

Spring and fall like clockwork plus one or two for good measure the rest of
the year. I certainly wouldn't be able to run any enterprise without
significant UPS under those conditions. Fortunately it's just me and the
few fsck operations it causes aren't an issue for me. In seven years I
haven't had a catastrophic drive failure, just some uuid corruptions;
trivial to deal with.

> > Most recently the city has replaced the streetcar overhead wires and
> > de-energized and re-energized the system, both times I had spontaneous
> > reboots. One of the TTC engineers told me the new streetcars require
> > more voltage and they are replacing the wires with heavier gauge ones
> > throughout the city.
>
> You only get to run one voltage on the system.  They might require more
> current though, and thicker wires would help with that.

Well he did say voltage but perhaps he was referring to when the old fleet
is entirely retired. For now they might be modifying the older still
serviceable cars to deal with higher voltage in some way.