[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

ac ac at main.me
Tue Jun 14 11:39:15 EDT 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:19:15 -0400
Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> With magical crashes I usually try to see if I can get any
> diagnostics out a serial console because once in graphical mode a
> crashing system usually has just a black screen.
> Booting and running memtest would be a good idea.
> I am assuming that the system does not have ECC memory so bad memory
> could cause all kinds of funky problems.
> Even if it has ECC depending on the motherboard failures can cause
> reboots.

the 6300 is non ecc ddr3, I had a similar problem once and it turned out to
be a contact issue i ran the system with the mb isolated from the case
on an anti static pad - If it is a contact / power issue there will be no logs,
reports or diagnostic info

It could also be some other things, but my money is on contact/power/mb
as you have a reset at random times and under random load

hth

Andre