[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Jun 14 11:30:39 EDT 2016

On 06/14/2016 11:23 AM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> On 6/14/16, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> We have a computer that started doing random and frequent restarts on the
>> weekend.  We don't know why.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
> You don't mention whether or not the system is protected by UPS.
>
> I live in an area with somewhat spotty electrical service, an older
> building near the exhibition grounds. When they liven up the CNE
> grounds in the spring, I experience brown-outs quite often.
>
> Most recently the city has replaced the streetcar overhead wires and
> de-energized and re-energized the system, both times I had spontaneous
> reboots. One of the TTC engineers told me the new streetcars require
> more voltage and they are replacing the wires with heavier gauge ones
> throughout the city.
>
> Are you near streetcar tracks where they may be replacing wiring or
> perhaps near one of the transformers which convert AC to DC?

As a note I have been burned by lower cost UPSs and heavily loaded
servers with no hold time in the power supplies.

A lot of UPSs switch from the mains to battery once the power drops and
that delay can be enough to cause some power supplies to lose enough
power to fail.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||