[GTALUG] We are having DMARC/DKIM troubles ...

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sat Jun 11 22:49:22 EDT 2016

On 06/11/2016 11:19 AM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> If replies seem patchy, we've just had a bunch of people - mostly Yahoo
> and Rogers users - auto-kicked from the list due to DMARC. This is an
> ongoing pain for list admins. The reason given by Yahoo is this:
>
>    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html
>
> Yeah, they're advising Reply-To mungeing as an industry standard. Joy!
>
> cheers,
>   Stewart

Running a mail server for any period of time and you will be offending
someone's email policy.

There are people out there who still believe that its OK to run an open
relay and anybody who uses some ORBS type of service is breaking the law.

I have some empathy for the likes of Yahoo, Hotmail/MS and google.

Combined they have something like a billion users.

The most I ever had to deal with was a few thousand mail users and at
times that made me want to turn off mail and go back to clay tablets.

Of those  millions of users most of them  are amazingly unsophisticated
so they need to make a number of choices to try and satisfy the largest
customer base.

After over 35 years of running mail servers I no longer provide nearly
the feature set that I once did and a few years ago I gave up on running
any public list servers altogether.

DMARC/DKIM is also more about senders insuring that other mail servers
do not masquerade as them and that is a sentiment that I can get behind
with 90+% of bounce back messages being caused by spammers using others
senders addresses.

This of course can have the side effect of breaking things like mail lists.

Spamming should be a capitol crime.

A few dead spammers hanging in the street could help to clean things up
quickly.

But that may be just a tad of an over reaction  on my part.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||