[GTALUG] 40" 4k Philips Monitor for $699.95 at BestBuy, Jun. 8 and 9 only

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 8 16:43:32 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:38:47PM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
> I assume you mean this:
>
> http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-40-4k-uhd-60hz-3ms-gtg-va-led-monitor-bdm4065uc-silver-black-bdm4065uc/10381634.aspx
>
> Is there any practical way to drive this from a Linux-based laptop
> that doesn't currently have an appropriate video card / output?  (I
> don't consider "buy a new computer" to be a helpful answer: I'll be
> ready to do that in about 18 months.  But I'll understand if the
> correct answer is "no."  :-)

Well things that can't drive it at 4k:

VGA
DVI
HDMI 1.3 or lower.

Things that can drive it:
HDMI 1.4 at 4k at 30Hz

HDMI 2.0+ at 4X at 60HZ except they didn't put that on the monitor in this
case, so that's not an option.

Displayport 1.2 MST at 4x at 60Hz

I think Displayport 1.1 could do it at 4x at 30Hz but I am not sure.

So if you have any displayport, you might get 4x at 30Hz, or if you have
pretty recent HDMI you might, but otherwise you can't.

In theory a dual link DVI to displayport or hdmi 1.4 adapter would be
able to give 4k at 30Hz, but as far as I can tell no such device has ever
been made.

--
Len Sorensen