[GTALUG] 40" 4k Philips Monitor for $699.95 at BestBuy, Jun. 8 and 9 only

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:38:47 EDT 2016

On 8 June 2016 at 14:30, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com> wrote:
> I bought this same 40" 4k Philips monitor for $699.99 at a Black Friday sale
> last year at BestBuy and it has been working great(*). The Wasabi Mango was
> an LG IPS panel. This one is a VA panel. Theoretically, the IPS panel is
> supposed to be "better" but I really do not have any objections to the video
> quality on the Philips. I have not noticed any dead pixels and the
> brightness is uniform throughout. It has an easy-to-use joystick control and
> a hard power switch. I have an ASUS GT 960 Strix video card running the
> nVidia binary driver on Fedora 23 driving the monitor through a DisplayPort
> cable.
>
> (*) Once every few months, I have to update the binary driver (it's not
> automatically updated) when I lose X after a kernel update. Occasionally,
> I'll see a flickering of a window that is not in the foreground. If I move
> the mouse, the flickering will disappear, which has me suspect the video
> driver and not the monitor. It's not frequent enough to be anything more
> than a minor irritant. Neither of those things are particular to this
> monitor.
>
> With a panel this large, I have not found any need for font-scaling. There
> is no way I could read text on a 28" 4k monitor without font-scaling. It
> would be hard to beat the price/performance of this monitor and with the
> weaker Canadian dollar, monitor prices have been firm. You will not see this
> monitor at this price very often.
>
> In short, it's a great buy if you've been thinking of upgrading to a 4k
> monitor.

I assume you mean this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-40-4k-uhd-60hz-3ms-gtg-va-led-monitor-bdm4065uc-silver-black-bdm4065uc/10381634.aspx

Is there any practical way to drive this from a Linux-based laptop
that doesn't currently have an appropriate video card / output?  (I
don't consider "buy a new computer" to be a helpful answer: I'll be
ready to do that in about 18 months.  But I'll understand if the
correct answer is "no."  :-)

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/