[GTALUG] 40" 4k Philips Monitor for $699.95 at BestBuy, Jun. 8 and 9 only

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Jun 8 14:30:45 EDT 2016

Hello,

I had bought a Wasabi Mango 42" monitor from a Korean vendor on eBay
last May and when it broke down for the second time within the first 13
weeks, neither the vendor nor Wasabi Mango provided warranty support.
Fortunately, I had bought a SquareTrade warranty and they came through
and reimbursed me for the full purchase amount. Orchids for SquareTrade,
onions for Wasabi Mango and gnestore on eBay, and onions for eBay's
useless reputation system that prevents buyers from leaving reviews
after 90 days from purchase. All that does is provide an incentive for
the seller to be responsive within the first 90 days and not even
pretend to care once the buyer can no longer leave a negative review.
Just to give you an idea of how ill-equipped Wasabi Mango must be to
provide after-sale support and how little they care about their
reputation, I left a scathing review of their monitor on their Facebook
page and they never responded and the last time I checked some months
ago, it was still there for the whole world to see.

I bought this same 40" 4k Philips monitor for $699.99 at a Black Friday
sale last year at BestBuy and it has been working great(*). The Wasabi
Mango was an LG IPS panel. This one is a VA panel. Theoretically, the
IPS panel is supposed to be "better" but I really do not have any
objections to the video quality on the Philips. I have not noticed any
dead pixels and the brightness is uniform throughout. It has an
easy-to-use joystick control and a hard power switch. I have an ASUS GT
960 Strix video card running the nVidia binary driver on Fedora 23
driving the monitor through a DisplayPort cable.

(*) Once every few months, I have to update the binary driver (it's not
automatically updated) when I lose X after a kernel update.
Occasionally, I'll see a flickering of a window that is not in the
foreground. If I move the mouse, the flickering will disappear, which
has me suspect the video driver and not the monitor. It's not frequent
enough to be anything more than a minor irritant. Neither of those
things are particular to this monitor.

With a panel this large, I have not found any need for font-scaling.
There is no way I could read text on a 28" 4k monitor without
font-scaling. It would be hard to beat the price/performance of this
monitor and with the weaker Canadian dollar, monitor prices have been
firm. You will not see this monitor at this price very often.

In short, it's a great buy if you've been thinking of upgrading to a 4k
monitor.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay