[GTALUG] gmane.org gone, at least for now

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 11:47:18 EDT 2016

On Jul 31, 2016 10:40 AM, "ac via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 16:30:37 +0200
> ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:01:01 -0400 (EDT)
> > "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > > BTW, this link is to discussion of a problem that I'm having.  My
> > > Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 won't work when plugged into a USB 3 port on
> > > Linux.  Very odd.  This report is two years old and the problem
> > > persists. ---
> >
> > eeek, soz, I only just saw this..
> >
> > please post any output from dmesg (directly after plugging usb)?
> >

> whahaha, triple eeek... (- Sundays... go figure) just reading the way
> back when link and your logs
> (http://spark.crystalorb.net/mikem/dmesg.log)

I see this.

[ 426.246318] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Can't reset device (slot ID 4) in
default state [ 426.246322] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Not freeing device rings

Not sure if this helps? Does the device work on USB 2. Apparently there are
some issues with xhci memory leaks.

http://linux-usb.vger.kernel.narkive.com/SiQeYEDB/patch-1-2-xhci-fix-memory-leak-in-ring-cache-deallocation

Here's a snippet from that thread.

Unfortunately, the original code in xhci_free_or_cache_endpoint_ring()
would put the first entry into the ring cache in array index 1, instead of
array index 0. This was caused by the second assignment to rings_cached:

rings_cached = virt_dev >num_rings_cached;
if (rings_cached < XHCI_MAX_RINGS_CACHED) {
virt_dev->num_rings_cached++;
rings_cached = virt_dev->num_rings_cached;
virt_dev->ring_cache[rings_cached] =
virt_dev->eps[ep_index].ring;

This meant that when the device was freed, cached rings with indexes 0 to
N would be freed, and the last cached ring in index N+1 would not be
freed. When the driver was unloaded, this caused interesting messages
like:

xhci_hcd 0000:06:00.0: dma_pool_destroy xHCI ring segments,
ffff880063040000 busy

> I do not yet have anything easy/constructive to add and I promise to
> only reply if I do :)
>
> Andre

Russell
Sent from mobile.