[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jul 30 15:12:51 EDT 2016

| From: Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| > So, if I buy a white box (e.g. Dell) I'll have to wipe the HDD and start
| again,
|
| Dell is a branded manufacturer. OEM whiteboxes are usually assembled by a
| local integrator, or yourself, from branded and or unbranded parts you
| source out.

Russell's explanation matches my understanding of the (informal) term
"white box".

More about big manufacturers:

Generally speaking, each manufacturer makes an inexpensive, flashy,
and fast-changing line of products for consumers, and a more
expensive, staid, reliable, stable line for businesses.  (Servers are
another line, but this can blur.)

It sure seems that Steve would want a business model.  Assuming he
wants a pre-built model at all.

Most of my experience with business models has been buying them
off-lease.  These machines have been pretty solid and reliable.  Oh,
and old.  I have a couple that have been on essentially 24/7 since
2003 (I bought them off-lease on the day of the blackout).  I should
replace them for several reasons, but they still work.

Business desktops have been trending to smaller form-factors (smaller
boxes).  That's because businesses don't play with add-on cards and
they find desk space is precious.  Larger units are still available.
Steve wants a larger box so that he can put a few full-height cards
in.  And 4 DIMMs.

Almost the only desktops that come bundled with Windows 7 pro are
business models.  Perhaps older ones at that.  By selecting offerings
with Win7pro bundled, Steve can find the boxes of interest.

Business desktops often seem to support VGA and DisplayPort.  DVI is
disappearing faster than VGA and HDMI isn't generally supported.  This
might affect the choice of monitor.

Other than video cards, add-in cards are rarely useful these days.
Plausible uses on a desktop:

- adding extra ethernet ports (not usually needed on a desktop)

- RAID controllers

- supporting something newer than the machine (unpredicatable)
  + adding USB3 to an old machine

- supporting something much older than the machine
  + supporting SCSI or SAS or other odd things
  + serial ports (but USB dongles do this well enough)
  + printer ports for ancient printers or for hardware hacking