[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat Jul 30 11:42:36 EDT 2016

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for your message.

Please see my comments inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>; "GTALUG Talk"
<talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

>| From: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | 1. Contrary to my earlier assertion, NCIX in fact has included an
> item for:
> |    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64Bit DVD SP1 OEM
> |    Price C$187.99 [Reg. C$214.98]
>
> If you buy Win 7 pro, in a bundle, from a big manufacturer, you can
> save most of that money.

What I won't get from a big manufacturer of white boxes, is a PC with
over-specified components, for extreme longevity and cool-running
reliability. The CPU cooler, power supply and other components on a
white box will be sized for some statistical model of intermittent use,
and I want a PC that, even after future expansion, can run flat-out 24/7
cruising not struggling.

> | 2. And the the (now corrected) NCIX total price for hardware
> components alone, seems reasonable:
> |    NCIX: $1593.13   PCPartPicker: $1517.98
> |    Caution: NCIX has made some hardware substitutions, so the total
> prices are only generically comparable.
>
> This price seemed quite high to me, at least compared with an
> off-the-rack
> computer.

Perhaps the price seems high, because my desire for longevity,
cool-running reliability and expandability has motivated specification
of:

[1] powerful air-cooled CPU cooler with sealed convection heat pipes;
[2] power supply will still operate well below maximum output capacity,
with additional components in the PC;
[3] case with plenty of free expansion slots, fan mounts and generous
air flow clearances;
[4] motherboard with plenty of slots for expandability and M.2 PCIe 4x
lanes support for SDD;

Speed is important. but never at the cost of reliability.

Although I am price conscious, my focus is on value for money, given the
requirements for speed, longevity, cool-running reliability and
expandability.

> Here are some you could consider.

<snip>

> Here's a similar page from Canada Computers, another Canadian chain.
> They have in-house service too (not warranty service for branded
> computers).
> <http://www.canadacomputers.com/search_result.php?checkVal0=1&checkVal1=1&checkVal2=0&subcat20=1&subcat21=2&checkVal3=1&checkVal4=1&checkVal5=1&checkVal6=1&checkVal7=1&checkVal8=1&checkVal9=0&subcat93=4&pagePos=0&keywords=&manu=0&search=1&ccid=1203&cPath=7_1203>
> (I hope that link works.)

I'll keep them in mind.

<snip>