[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 08:03:08 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
snip

> If I can't get the white box vendor's ironclad assurance of hardware
> compatibility with Linux, I could wind up stuck with a PC I can't use. I
> agree it's a small risk. But the advent of "secure boot" and UEFI make me
> nervous, I understand that these are not yet supported under Linux.

I cannot speak to whether or not it is actually supported but I can tell you
that you can install Linux (Debian in my case) on a system with both
secure boot and UEFI.

(My system was in for warranty repair and when I got it back the main
system disc had been replaced. As well the windows boot manager had
been enabled (and used), all this even though I had had Debian (testing)
installed previously. This were not straightforward but I was able to get
things to where I wanted them. Had to disable the windows boot manager
and use the UEFI disc configuration (gpart/gparted is your friend here!)
and then determine how to work through the secure boot malaise. What
I did I don't remember just remember that it was quite an odessey and
more than somewhat frustrating but I was successful - - - and I'm not
at all competent as a programmer nor any kind of 'under the hood' person
when it comes to computers. I'm just a tool user when it comes to
computers at this point and wishing I could keep it there!)

Regards

Dee