[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:15:44 EDT 2016

Dear Mr. Petrie,

Good to see your inquiry on the list...

On 25/07/16 10:47 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
> ... *BACKGROUND --  BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC*
>
> ...  replace Dell XP SP3 PC with a new PC, booting Debian Linux 8,
> with Win 7 set up to run under QEMU / KVM virtualization under
> Debian...
> *HOW TO BUILD THE NEW DEBIAN 8 PC ?*
> *1. BUILD IT MYSELF.* ... last resort.
>
> *2. COMMERCIAL PC BUILDER.* ... in Canada.(preferably GTA)
>
> Problem: ... commercial PC bulders to [be] competitive
>
> *3. *** CREATIVE IDEA: GTALUG **** ... member(s) build from
> components ... happy to pay

> ... omitted a SCSI controller and tape drive, and speakers I will
> acquire later, after the base PC is working...
>
> Many thanks to list members for taking the time to consider my
> email. Comments, questions welcome: *1.* On the proposed PC
> configuration, *2.* On the idea of GTALUG helping with the build
> project.
> Steve Petrie, P.Eng. ITS-ETO Consortium Oakville, Ontario, Canada
> (905) 847-3253 apetrie at aspetrie.net <mailto:apetrie at aspetrie.net>

I can understand not necessarily wanting to work on this yourself. I
do not receive any consideration at all from the Canadian companies
(from the Falls) on my list, but I absolutely trust them to build the
very best and stand by their work... Please see my recommendations at
my blog...
https://youcanlinux.wordpress.com/company-recommendations/

It comes down to rock-solid reliability and the highest-quality
components. I have had the shop work on my computer years after
purchase. The customers see the value in this devotion to quality,
attention-to-detail, and total pride in their work.

Sincerely,
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
youcanlinux at gmail.com
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49

P.S. If you still want to build it yourself or have GTALUG members
build a computer, you might consider sourcing the parts from this
company and even have them assemble the motherboard (proc, fan, RAM,
any ancillary cooling options you might want) and test so that you
have a reliable base system.