[GTALUG] GTALUG - BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 28 15:40:47 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:50:00PM -0400, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
> Mainly because I use dial-upon the Win XP system, and I don't want the
> hassle of changing it to use DSL, before I get the new Linux PC. Also,
> I'm curious to see if the experience with dial-up is better on Linux
> than on Win XP.

I can't imagine anything that would make it better on Linux.  Web pages
are simply not designed with low bandwidth in mind these days.

> I do plan, after the Linux PC is operational, to switch to DSL.

Well in that case, it would seem a waste to buy a modem that works with
linux at all.  If you already have one, that's different.  Dialup modems
are not that cheap these days due to lack of demand.

> Others have mentioned this too. Makes good sense.
>
> I will change the spec to 16 GB and assure expandability to 32 GB.

16GB is good these days.

--
Len Sorensen