[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:17:09 EDT 2016

On Jul 28, 2016 1:48 PM, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

<snip>
> Just curious -- did you build those "couple of hundred builds" all for
> personal use?

No, probably the first 50 in the early 90's were all DOS & WIN 8088 - 80486
from obsoleted IBM business units. Pick and patch so to speak. Some for me
some for friends and friend of friends.  Later on after 95, the next 50 or
so, after taking a little training in systems integration and being exposed
to Novel networking and I started tinkering with Linux. The last MS OS I
used personally was 98.

I've participated in community builds at various locations, you know build
a box for someone who can't afford one. Some of those were Linux specific.
Clue and mini-deb come to mind.

I volunteered at a community organization and did some DOS & Win training
for people who were going to receive a donated computer. I organized fake
builds. That is I assembled and tested the box, disassembled it put all the
parts in a box and a team of volunteers or staff would assemble it as a
team building event.

This century I have assembled gamers, business and dual boot systems on
specification for people.

>> I've learned to plan for my own fumbling fingers and trying to mix and
>> match from different supply streams.
>>

> It's the "fumbling fingers" and "mix and match" that makes me inclined
> to use a commercial builder.

I was just pointing out that some fasteners and screws etc can be quite
tiny and if you don't have access to an immediate replacement, things can
grind to a halt.

> However, I received (26 July 2016) a very disappointing quotation from
> NCIX. Hugely expensive, with substitutions (and omissions). So be
> assured, I am still open to building myself.

Just out of curiosity, do you mind if I ask what dollar amount hugely
expensive represents? While the business model has changed to single
purchase with full Windows integration, there are other options depending
on the budget.

An off the shelf white box, given the times, is most usually able to run
Linux quite well. It is the bleeding edge, with the fastest newest
chipsets, and largest capacites where stumbling blocks arise, as some of
the others who respond to this thread have indicated.

Russell
Sent from mobile.