[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 08:15:14 EDT 2016

On Jul 27, 2016 11:20 PM, "William Park via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I'll give opposite advice from the rest.  Stay with Windows.
>     - Windows comes free with all retail computers, fully configured.

The only reason this is the case is that Foss became a threat to the profit
model, otherwise it would be business as usual at Microsoft, which is to
squeeze every cent they can out of consumers.

>       If you're used to XP, then you'll have short (if at all) learning
>       curve to 10.
>     - Components you list below, all come with Windows driver.
>     - Windows has virtualizations -- Hyper-V and VirtualBox.  So, you can
>       run Linux if you like.
>     - MS-Windows and MS-Office are standard that Linux fanboys are
>       trying to copy.  Open/Libre Office's

I think you are confusing comic book fanboy culture with foss culture here.

MS Office is still $300 to buy outright. Or MS's preferred method, you can
subscribe.

reason for existence is to
>       promote MS-Office workflow, and prepare people for eventual
>       migration to MS-Office.  By going

Many places, municipalities and organizations, government, military and
others have migrated the other way.

In part this is the reason the price of MS Office has dropped as far as it
has.

Russell
Sent from mobile.