[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 27 23:39:12 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 09:31:13AM -0400, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> I nearly chimed in with this option earlier: my backup method is
> multiple external (spinning) HD drives, some of which are "portable,"
> ie. 2.5".  With rsync, full backups are very fast - after the initial
> synchronization.  And with the 2.5" drives, off-site is very easy.  I
> tote one to a friend's place most weekends.  The initial cost may seem
> a bit high, but the capacity is immense (up to 4TB even on 2.5" these
> days), the backups are easy and fast, and the reliability is
> excellent.

My backup now is multi-disk raid1 BTRFS, made up of leftover harddisks.
I choose BTRFS because of "snapshot" feature.

Before, I used to do daily, weekly, and monthly backups (rsync), which
resulted in 3 separate copies.  Now, I do daily backup, and then take
snapshot daily, weekly, and monthy.
--
William