[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 27 23:20:40 EDT 2016

I'll give opposite advice from the rest.  Stay with Windows.
    - Windows comes free with all retail computers, fully configured.
      If you're used to XP, then you'll have short (if at all) learning
      curve to 10.
    - Components you list below, all come with Windows driver.
    - Windows has virtualizations -- Hyper-V and VirtualBox.  So, you can
      run Linux if you like.
    - MS-Windows and MS-Office are standard that Linux fanboys are
      trying to copy.  Open/Libre Office's reason for existence is to
      promote MS-Office workflow, and prepare people for eventual
      migration to MS-Office.  By going with Windows, you're already
      there.

As for hardware,
    - I would advice against ASrock because of my previous experience
      with them.
    - If you already have SCSI, ok.  But, buying a new SCSI?
    - Intel i5 comes with heatsink and fan.  Why buy third-party?
    - For VM, you need 16GB+ ram.  Ideally, 8GB should be enough (4GB for
      host, 4GB for guest), but practice never turns out that way.
--
William