[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:20:32 EDT 2016

On Jul 27, 2016 3:26 PM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 08:32:51AM -0400, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> > I believe as a general rule of thumb any Hayes compatible modem will
work
> > with Linux. I've not tested this tho.
>
> All Hayes is, is the AT commands.  How you speak serial to the device
> is the actual problem.  USB and internal makes that potentially difficult.

Well the fundamental problem is when the signal compression is done by the
OS rather than the modem hardware  itself. If the modem sends the info that
it will be handling compression it tends to be recognized by linux as a
serial device and connectivity can be handled in config files.

> Of course in a winmodem, there is nothing to talk to, the commands go
> from your application to another piece of software which then talks to
> the sound chip that interfaces with the phone line.
>
> > A fax is still considered a legal transmission, that is a fax to fax
> > transmission is deemed to be accepted by the recipient. A scan of a
> > document attached to an email, for legal purposes requires confirmation
by
> > the recipient.
>
> Given the number of fax recipients that are software these days, that
> is probably a horrible assumption.

I'm pretty sure a valid CSID with an  corresponding electronic document in
tiff format, which is then printed to paper, is accepted by the courts on
affidavit of service.

It's hardly an assumption, it's more like a trusted chain transaction
record.

> --
> Len Sorensen

Russell