[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Wed Jul 27 12:08:56 EDT 2016

On 07/27/16 09:31, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> On 26 July 2016 at 21:27, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> | From: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
>>
>> | I donlt really have a few weeks to spare. I need to get the Linux PC up
>> | and running, so I can get back to the rest of my life.
>>
>> If you are not used to Linux, and you are used to Windows XP, and you
>> don't have weeks to spare, you really should think carefully about
>> switching to Linux.
>
> I wanted to back Hugh on a couple points: switching to Linux if you're
> not familiar with it isn't something to be done quickly.  Windows
> 7/8/10 would also have a learning curve, but the proprietary programs
> he speculated you might have will work, whereas they probably won't
> with Linux.
>
> Linux is a fantastic OS and I encourage you to use it ... but expect a
> learning curve.
>
>> I have no idea of the longevity or robustness of blu-ray disks.  Consider
>> diversifying to external HDDs.
>
> I nearly chimed in with this option earlier: my backup method is
> multiple external (spinning) HD drives, some of which are "portable,"
> ie. 2.5".  With rsync, full backups are very fast - after the initial
> synchronization.  And with the 2.5" drives, off-site is very easy.  I
> tote one to a friend's place most weekends.  The initial cost may seem
> a bit high, but the capacity is immense (up to 4TB even on 2.5" these
> days), the backups are easy and fast, and the reliability is
> excellent.

I agree with that option also.  I do a nightly backup from root, etc,
user accounts, git, wikis, media files and the place where I keep local
scripts to a 2.0 TB eSata drive.  I also rsync the firewalls etc and
scripts directory to the drive.

Every week, I rsync that drive to another 2.0 TB drive mounted USB. That
drive comes home, gets updated, and then gets off-site again.
The media collection on the drive also gets synced to the firewall
router and the mythtv computer.

One mark of paranoia, connecting the drive via eSata allows you to hide
it in a physical sense.  If a thief was to rip my PC from where it sits,
they would most likely leave the drive, unless they are willing to
follow cables, pull out heavy desk and attack suspicious bumps with
screwdrivers.

PS: A few years ago I noticed an interesting behaviour in Linux.  When
rsyncing hundreds of GB from the eSata to the USB mounted drive I found
the file system to become unreliable and unmountable.  A workaround that
I now follow is to add an "--bwlimit=15000" in the rsync command, which
ensures that the eSata doesn't get too far ahead of the USB drive. May
be completely unnecessary now..

--
Michael Galea