[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Tue Jul 26 09:40:38 EDT 2016

Hello Stewart,

Thanks for your response.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
To: <talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP
PC;

> On 2016-07-25 03:34 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
>>
>> active surplus …
>>
>> I have yet to find another place with such a comprehensive stock of
>> the
>> little odds and ends someone night need.
>
> True enough, but Graham (the former manager of Active Surplus) plus
> the
> skilled facilitators of Little Dada are trying to find space for a
> relaunch. More details here: OGP ("Operation Gorilla Phoenix")
> Electronics & Surplus <http://www.greenenterprises.ca/OGP.html>
>
> Other places that might have the little bits like standoffs:
>
> * the elecronics place in the basement of the College Home Hardware,
> near Spadina
>
> * Above All surplus on Bloor near Euclid (Steve has some very
> vintage/niche bits indeed. His phone is disconnected, so don't try
> calling)
>
> * A-1 Surplus out in the wilds of Etobicoke is a vast cavern of
> *stuff*.
> I'm told that patient browsing rewards with some excellent finds*.

If I do decide to build the new Linux PC myself, I will check out all
these interesting cources you cite.

> If you plan ahead and have a few weeks before a build, you can buy
> selection boxes of hardware on eBay from Hong Kong, and they'll arrive
> in a few weeks. I am never organized enough to do this.

I donlt really have a few weeks to spare. I need to get the Linux PC up
and running, so I can get back to the rest of my life.

> Stewart
>
> *: I'm still trying to round up a trip out to A-1 soon. Have vehicle,
> can travel, will be spending a couple of hours browsing the chip racks
> looking for cooler hardware than the speech synths I found last time.

Speech synthesizers !! Ahhhh. How I envy the young. I wish I still had a
few decades left on the meter, so I could mess around with interesting
stuff like speech synth ...