[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 18:15:01 EDT 2016

<snip>
> * Above All surplus on Bloor near Euclid (Steve has some very
> vintage/niche bits indeed. His phone is disconnected, so don't try
calling)

Thanks, thats good to know. I had tried calling and assumed they had closed.

This was my goto place for refurbished 20/30/40mb Fujitsu drives. Fujitsu
had a lot of those drives returned because FAT systems reported too many
bad sectors. I never had a problem using ext on Linux systems, they
reported the correct sizes and worked fine.

In the 90's I use to overclock old boards and would toast stuff regularly.
I was always dashing in and asking for some odd widget. Often they had it,
or a reasonable facsimile.

> * A-1 Surplus out in the wilds of Etobicoke is a vast cavern of *stuff*.
> I'm told that patient browsing rewards with some excellent finds*.
>
> If you plan ahead and have a few weeks before a build, you can buy
> selection boxes of hardware on eBay from Hong Kong, and they'll arrive
> in a few weeks. I am never organized enough to do this.
>
>  Stewart
>
> *: I'm still trying to round up a trip out to A-1 soon. Have vehicle,
> can travel, will be spending a couple of hours browsing the chip racks
> looking for cooler hardware than the speech synths I found last time.

> cheers,
>  Stewart

Sent from mobile.