[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:34:11 EDT 2016

On Jul 25, 2016 10:50 AM, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Warm Greetings To GTALUG,
>
> Please forgive the long email. -- have to provide some background.
>
> BACKGROUND --  BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC

I usually have a couple of pieces of advise for home builds and integration.

Unfortunately the first piece is no longer relevant.  That was was go to
active surplus and purchase a variety of items. Board standoffs, plastic
washers and odd screws and ties. However they have closed both locations
and it doesn't look like there is a comeback in the works.

I have yet to find another place with such a comprehensive stock of the
little odds and ends someone night need.

The other is to have a build buddy, someone to bounce things around with
when there is an unexpected problem.

I do have this suggestion tho. Make friends with Hacklab.

I haven't visited the facility so I don't know if they have storage for a
build which may last longer than one day.

Also I have no idea of the fee structure to use the space, but there are
others on the list with more in-depth knowledge than I.

Scott Sullivan perhaps?

HTH
Russell

<snip the end>