[GTALUG] 2 weeks on cell phone and chromebook... never again!

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 08:06:16 EDT 2016

On Jul 25, 2016 2:35 AM, "ac via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

<snip>
> > > guidelines that say:
> > > "Particularly for this list:
> > >     Don't be the guy on the soapbox,
> > >     Try to stay out of political, social, or religious issues,
> > >     Avoid bad jokes, personal rants or similar non-Linux related
> > discussion,
> > >     Any subscribers who offers or requests pirated software, license
> > > keys or cracks, and similar will be dropped from the list without
> > > warning, and
> > I'm with you here too.
> >
> From my short time on the list I have not seen any of the above?

A long time ago on a server far far away ....

Ok just kidding, someone did once post a Windows crack on this list, the
post was deleted and that issue was part of the formulation of the code of
conduct.

<snip the middle>

> pirates? with ships? one eyed Jack? Dreaded black beard?
> do the ships use Linux? should be the question, no?

This was the interesting thing about Stuxnet, although it was Windows
malware, it seemed to be able to transcend the OS in order to find its
target.

<snip the middle>

> this openness to sometimes diverge from standard Linux topics also
> strengthens the community as we get to know each other, learn from each
> other and for me personally, to make me a better person :)

The debate seems to be mostly about time. The time it takes to craft a
reasonable response vs the time it takes to understand a response.

And constructive criticism, how that criticism is presented and how it is
perceived.

I think Hugh hit the nail right on the head in his rebranded post's
analysis of this thread. People's feelings get hurt when contents are
construed incorrectly.

Posting, according to first order reliability method, should have logical
rules so that information remains true.

I learned FORM as SAP under SOP while taking training in typesetting

A single misplaced orthographic character in a printed form can radically
alter the meaning of the contents.

In cyberspace ... well you can read Hugh's analysis to see the iterative
quality of compounded error.

> > > cheers,
> > >  Stewart
> > > ---