[GTALUG] 2 weeks on cell phone and chromebook... never again!

ac ac at main.me
Mon Jul 25 02:35:38 EDT 2016

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 07:15:05 -0400
Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2016 10:02 PM, "Stewart C. Russell via talk"
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > On 2016-07-23 05:29 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> > > This is a local mail list who's membership seems to be quite far
> > > reaching geographically, so why not topically as well?
> > Because this is explicitly a Linux user group mailing list, with
> I'm with you there.

It is also a community or like minded people. We all share certain
core common values and these values guide and inform our opinions about
Linux, development, direction and many things which all relates
directly to Linux and Open source

> > guidelines that say:
> > "Particularly for this list:
> >     Don't be the guy on the soapbox,
> >     Try to stay out of political, social, or religious issues,
> >     Avoid bad jokes, personal rants or similar non-Linux related
> discussion,
> >     Any subscribers who offers or requests pirated software, license
> > keys or cracks, and similar will be dropped from the list without
> > warning, and
> I'm with you here too.

From my short time on the list I have not seen any of the above?

I have learned a heck of a lot about voltage and some threads have
resulted in me abusing my google fu - one thread, which was not much
Linux related, actually did give me an idea which made me place a
comment on a dev website relating to Linux, so, go figure...

> >     No commercial advertising.
> A job posting now and then never hurt anyone.

hehehe, unless you are sitting in dark Africa in the middle of Zimbabwe
or in rural South Africa :)

> > Off topic messages will not be tolerated or endorsed."
> I take this to mean don't hijack the thread topic.
> If people are actively engaged and discussing something even remotely
> related to Linux I can't see the harm.
> This was my point about Linux world domination and how broad ranging
> the subject of Linux has become.

+1

like I said, the shared life experiences and open conversations in this
community is amazing, there are some seriously cool people on this list
and I am extremely happy that I found it.

> My pet peeve is that people snip without noting which makes it
> difficult to understand context of the topic even if you are trying
> to follow it. That and top posting, but I'm not going to soapbox the
> issue, I'm going to go with the flow.

oops ;)

> The guidelines can say almost anything. At the end of the day the
> list is the users and the users are the list.

ubuntu - people - community - us

> People who are peeved with others can always block them. The list
> administrators can block pirates and abusers if there is a consensus
> to do so.

pirates? with ships? one eyed Jack? Dreaded black beard?
do the ships use Linux? should be the question, no?

> Heck we even occasionally have had threads about M$ and C# without
> problem. Not exactly Linux but SAMBA does let us use M$ symmetric
> message blocks to print to Windohs networks.
> See three bad jokes in one paragraph, C#=CASH, for illustration only.
>
> Compromising is the key to success in almost any circumstances. You
> never have to compromise your principles on the list tho. You can
> always unsubscribe or filter content you find objectionable.

also, look at my self introduction... this list is tolerant.

imho tolerance is an amazing thing that results directly in growth,
stimulates freedom, openness and is core to Linux philosophy

this openness to sometimes diverge from standard Linux topics also
strengthens the community as we get to know each other, learn from each
other and for me personally, to make me a better person :)