[GTALUG] unwinding confusing quoting [was Re: 2 weeks on cell phone and chromebook... never again!]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jul 24 12:12:54 EDT 2016

Note: this is top-posted for completeness

TL;DR: sloppy quoting has confused people, wasted their time,
and hurt some feelings.  Careful quoting matters.

There is some confusion on the thread about why people might be
unsubscribing because <something>.

I think this confusion could have been avoided through better quoting.
Here's my tentative analysis:

1. Len's post.
   Not top-posted (good).
   Response immediately following what it is responding to (good).
   Could be improved by trimming things not being responded to.

2. Evan's wide-ranging reply to Len.
   Top-posted, so reader cannot tell what he was actually responding to.
   I felt much was not actually a response at all.

   In particular, I'm guessing that this line is the one relevant
   to the mystery.

   | "Real men don't use HTML email"?.... pfffft. Get over it.

   This does not seem to be a response to anything actually in Len's
   message.  But it is couched as a snide response to Len.

3. Myles' reply to Evan.
   Not top-posted (good).
   Bungled quoting: his reply includes a copy of itself, attributed to Evan.
   Luckily it was only one level or we'd have an infinite message.

   This is what other folks are startled by:

   | Furthermore we lose about 3 to 5 mailing list subscribers every time
   | this discussion is bought out and beaten to death.

   We have no clue what Myles is responding to since the quoting was
   bungled.  But I'm pretty sure that it was the comment about HTML.

   [snide] Was this worth bring up?  I guess so if we wish to beat it
   to death again, losing another 3-5 members. [/snide]  This is the
   second way in which Myles' message is self-referential.  Kind of
   interesting.

4. William's reply to Myles.
   Not top posted (good).
   Quotes Myles' misquote of Evan, perpetuating that mistake.

   He asks why people are leaving the list due to the discussion of
   <something>.  He probably thinks Myles' comment was aimed at him
   for starting this thread.

   | Why?  We're giving them valuable informations from personal experience.

   I think that his reasonable interpretation is wrong.  I don't think
   that he actually was being criticised.

At least six other posters (and an unknown number of readers) were
confused by this.  Including Evan!

Here are the original messages, without editing of the content: