[GTALUG] 2 weeks on cell phone and chromebook... never again!

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jul 22 09:51:25 EDT 2016

Sheesh, sometimes in this list feel like I'm in a retirement home sitting
around a circle of people complaining about Elvis and self-serve elevators.

"Real men don't use HTML email"?.... pfffft. Get over it.

These days email makes up but a fraction of my digital communications, and
most of that is either mailing lists, or Outlook/Exchange from work because
that's how they work .... Skype, Hangouts, SMS, and social media posts
enable immediate response and don't need aggressive spam filters. Not every
communications calls for the same tool.

As for typing, give me a break. I can enter text on a screen without taking
my finger off the glass, (using the free Swiftkey kb) at least as fast as I
could ever do on a real keyboard (which was, honestly,  never too fast to
start with). The innovations here are coming from mobile, not the end of an
RS-232 cable.

The only times where I really like a full keyboard and pointer is for
typing long documents, and creating things that require greater pointing
precision than the tip of my finger (which, in my case, mean a Cherry Brown
keyboard and trackball instead of mouse). But such creative work takes but
a fraction of my total time interfacing with computing devices.

And as for "ooh, that's a CONSUMER device"....  expressed in any field,
such an attitude does little but reveal elitist snobbery in the speaker. A
Samsung phone in the hands of a good photographer will produce more
desirable results than a dork with a Hasselblad.

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH

Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch