[GTALUG] Exercises for Computer Users (long)

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 21 21:33:39 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 04:12:14PM -0400, Peter Hiscocks via talk wrote:
> Some years ago, as the result of a really bad workstation arrangement and a
> huge typing project, my wrists started to display carpal tunnel syndrome.

When my left baby finger and left wrist (on the baby finger edge) was
acting up, I bought Topre keyboard.  It was expensive and still is, but
it's the reason I'm still typing today.

> I list these exercises here for someone who might be in the same situation
> or wish to avoid a problem.  These are stretching exercises for the shoulder
> and upper back, and I do not know why they are effective for the wrists. But
> they are.

> Wall lean

> Back Press

> Elbow Touch

> Shoulder Roll

> Shoulder Roll, reverse.

Interestingly, I recently had Physiotherapy on my right shoulder, due to
inflamation of tendons that attach to both inside and outside of
shoulder blade.  Above exercises were part of recommendation.  They said
long term use of mouse could be the reason.

But, I'm not convinced.  The exercises that did help me were
axis-rotation exercises.  With elastic band, do "arm-wrestling"
movements
    - with elbow in front at shoulder level (forearm vertical at start)
    - with elbow to the side at shoulder level (forearm vertical at
      start)
    - repeat above in reverse motion (forearm horizontal at start)
To increase the range, for each of above 2 "arm-wrestling" movements
    - with your free left hand, hold your right hand (hence the right
      forearm) at the limit of range
    - try to move your right forearm in the opposite direction (since
      you're holding it, it won't move).
    - relax the muscle
    - push your forearm in the direction you want to move.  As you relax
      your muscle, it will loosen a bit.
--
William