[GTALUG] Exercises for Computer Users (long)

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Thu Jul 21 16:12:14 EDT 2016

Some years ago, as the result of a really bad workstation arrangement and a
huge typing project, my wrists started to display carpal tunnel syndrome.
It got serious very quickly and I had to use a Dragon Dictate voice input
system to input text.  My doctor sent me for physio and I had massage
therapy.  They didn't help.  I was resisting surgery because I had heard
that in some cases permanent damage could result.  Then my doctor sent me to
a Chiropractor/Sports-Medicine doctor, a Dr. Grisdale who has since
disappeared as far as I can tell.  Dr. Grisdale recommended a regimen of
stretching exercises.  I had little expectation that this would be
effective, but happily it did work and within a week I was on the road to
recovery.  I've done the exercises ever since, and especially when I can
feel the wrists starting to act up.

I list these exercises here for someone who might be in the same situation
or wish to avoid a problem.  These are stretching exercises for the shoulder
and upper back, and I do not know why they are effective for the wrists. But
they are.

Each exercise is 25 repetitions. All are done standing.

Wall lean
Stand facing the wall with your feet apart and spaced from the wall
slightly more than the length of your arms. Tilt toward the wall with your
arms outstretched in front so that you are being supported by your arms.
Keeping the arms straight, move your shoulders to push yourself away from
and toward the wall.

Back Press
Put your hands together behind your back. Push down with your arms so
that your shoulders are pulled rearward.

Elbow Touch
With your forearms vertical, bring your elbows together in front. Then,
still keeping forearms vertical, return the elbows as far to the rear as you
can.

Shoulder Roll
With your arms hanging down loosely, rotate your shoulders in a circular
motion.

Shoulder Roll, reverse.
Repeat the shoulder roll with the direction of rotation reversed.

The doctor also gave me a 'theraband' elastic for a couple of additional
exercises.  Eventually, the theraband broke and I never replaced it, so I
don't think those exercises are essential.  One exercise involved stretching
the band between two hands with the arms out in front.  The other required
putting the band under ones feet and stretching with arms out front.

I would also say that RSI (repeditive strain injury) is a real possibility
for people who use computers extensively. An ergonomic workstation is
absolutely essential, and the stretching exercises are a big help.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto