[GTALUG] 2 weeks on cell phone and chromebook... never again!

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 19 21:19:54 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:52:36AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> A pattern that I've noticed: people emailing from smart phones don't
> read email as carefully nor do they reply as thoughtfully.  This may
> be a win for them (less effort, more immediacy) but it is a loss for
> me as a correspondent.

Try writing email on cell phone, Hugh.  I would have thrown my cell
phone against wall, if it wasn't so expensive.

    1. You are using web interface, ie. yahoo.ca or gmail.com.  So, you
    can <Backspace> to left, but you can't <Delete> to right.

    2. You are pecking at 2.5in wide keyboard with your finger/thumb
    which are bigger than a key.

    3. After pressing a wrong key, you are trying to place the cursor at
    the right spot, with your fingers that cover 2 lines vertically and 4
    chars horizontally.  Oops, you placed it wrong spot.  Now, try to
    move the cursor.

    4. You typed it right, but phone's autocorrection changes it to
    something else.  Again, go back to correct that typo.

    5. My phone's screen is 5.7" Full HD (1920x1080).  So, I have the
    same resolution as desktop monitor, but practically impossible to
    navigate properly.  Clicking a link is challenge.  You spend all
    your time zooming in, click a button, zoom out to see the page
    properly, then swipe to center, zoom in to read text, zoom out to
    see what's on the next page, etc...
--
William