[GTALUG] mutt (was: 2 weeks on cell ...)

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:51:34 EDT 2016

On Mon 18 Jul 2016 16:59 -0400, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> As a voice for YMMV: no CUA or even remotely standard keys,

mutt generally follows keybindings similar to vim, less, and the like.
If you don't like those then config keybindings to what your 'standard' liking.
The ability to configure and customize is part of the power of mutt.

> weird display (aka "not 3-pane"),

You can get that, or closer to that with different build/config. Sidebar patch
was recently mainlined. That interface would be weird in mutt anyways, at least
not really necessary.

Folders/mailboxes are one key away. I can't read two or three things at once so
I don't need to see email contents, plus list of emails, plus list of folders
simultaneously.

> questionable to no mouse mapping*,

There is none unless someone has a patch kicking around somewhere. I think most
needs can be met through a decent terminal editor and appropriate config. The
idea of efficient email writing/reading is keeping your hands on the keyboard
anyways.

> opaque configuration,

??? There is a wiki and a bunch of documentation.

Start here and read all the pages:
https://dev.mutt.org/trac/wiki/MuttWiki

> glad it floats all y'all's boats, but it's not for me.

Sorry, try again. mutt requires something of a conceptual shift of how to deal
with email. If you expect or rely on the 'traditional' method, then maybe mutt
is not for you. mutt might only really appeal to people who dig into
documentation, patches, and building software from source code.