[GTALUG] Suggestions: A Book for a Beginner, new to the Linux Shell

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Mon Jul 18 14:08:35 EDT 2016

On 16-07-18 12:18 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> While info might have a few useful features, my main gripe with it is
> that to process an info page, you need to pull in texinfo. This in turn
> pulls in TeX Live as a dependency. TeX Live is a multi-gigabyte package.
> man (mostly*) only needs [gnt]roff, and that's tiny by comparison.

I know disk space is considered cheap but I object on principle to pulling
in massive amounts of files as dependencies to do a simple job, or one that
I only need to do on a limited basis. Sometimes the dependencies pulls in a
lot of stuff I have no plans to ever use.

It has been a while since I used info. In the past I found it wasn't easy to
figure out which keys I needed to hit to navigate the menus and access the
information I wanted. With a man page I can do a quick search using a
command line key I use in vi.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.