[GTALUG] Are you on the watch list?

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Jul 16 20:38:35 EDT 2016

On 07/16/2016 08:27 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> My impression is that Canadian enforcement is way less effective than
> US enforcement.

An example being Nortel, where the execs cooked the books to make
themselves look better and able to claim bonuses they're shouldn't have
got.  The CEO, John Roth, cashed in over $130M in stock options, just
before the collapse.

> |  Of course, we can't forget that our own federal
> | government set up the mechanism that enabled the wealthy and large
> | corporations to hide money offshore and evade taxes on it.
>
> To what mechanism are you referring?

There was an article in the Toronto Star a few weeks ago, that showed
how the federal government allowed money to be moved to tax havens, with
the claim that it would be taxed coming back.  What really happened was
that haven was merely a stepping stone to other areas that were not
under the jurisdiction of countries Canada had arranged this deal with
and thus the money disappeared from sight and the tax man.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/06/18/canada-willingly-makes-tax-deals-with-tax-havens.html