[GTALUG] The New Skype Alpha.

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Thu Jul 14 20:33:27 EDT 2016

On 07/13/2016 09:39 PM, James Knott wrote:
> On 07/13/2016 12:09 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:
>> Packages are 64-bit only... we've been asking and asking, and we get it
>> finally, but 32-bit gets nothing. Irony.
> Well, computers are 64 bits these days.  I've been running Linux on 64
> bits for 10 years now.  Some distros are no longer available on 32 b.
>

> I just tried the browser version in Chrome and it appears to work OK.
> It also opens in Firefox, but I haven't tried making a call there.  The
> nice thing about using a browser is we don't need to have any MS
> software contaminating our systems.
>
> One thing you can do with Firefox Hello is send a URL to someone, so
> they can chat with you.  I haven't seen that available in Skype Web.

I've just noticed that Firefox has broken Hello.  It's now a web page
sharing service.  While there is still a video chat link, it's been
reduced to a tiny area of the screen, with whatever web page you were on
taking up most of the frame.  I've been using browsers for over 20 years
and even when providing computer support, I've never had the need or
desire to share a web page.  I don't have a problem with this web page
sharing "feature", provided it's optional.  Give the user a choice of
sharing a page or just have a video chat.  As it is, Hello is now pretty
much useless.