[GTALUG] The New Skype Alpha.

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Jul 13 21:51:59 EDT 2016

On 13/07/16 09:39 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 07/13/2016 12:09 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:
>> Packages are 64-bit only... we've been asking and asking, and we get it
>> finally, but 32-bit gets nothing. Irony.
> Well, computers are 64 bits these days.  I've been running Linux on 64
> bits for 10 years now.  Some distros are no longer available on 32 b.
>

> I just tried the browser version in Chrome and it appears to work OK.
> It also opens in Firefox, but I haven't tried making a call there.  The
> nice thing about using a browser is we don't need to have any MS
> software contaminating our systems.
>
> One thing you can do with Firefox Hello is send a URL to someone, so
> they can chat with you.  I haven't seen that available in Skype Web.

You can do that in Skype, too. I use the Skype web client in Fedora
because the team I'm working with somehow decided that it was an
acceptable form of instant messaging and group calling. We have since
given up on using Skype for group calls due to the highly variable call
quality and use Google Hangouts, which is fine most of the time. The odd
time when the call quality isn't great with GH, we jump over to Skype.
For instant messaging, it's total crap. Pasting code snippets is an
exercise in futility because none of the indenting will be preserved.

The web client has lots of issues, the latest being that if I answer a
call on my phone, the web client will continue ringing and there will be
no way to stop it other than quitting the web client and starting it again.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+ 1 647-778-8696