[GTALUG] The New Skype Alpha.

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Wed Jul 13 15:12:25 EDT 2016

On 16-07-13 12:09 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:
> https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Linux-Alpha-and-calling-on-Chrome-amp-Chromebooks/td-p/4434299

I just gave it a quick try. First thing I noticed is that several of the
group chats I have set up in my Linux version of Skype don't show up. I'm
not sure if I can make them appear in Skype For Linux Alpha.

One thing that I like is that it has all the emoticons that the Windows
version of Skype has. Despite the number of updates that have been released
for the Linux version of Skype they have never updated the list of emoticons
it recognizes. I feel a little left out when Windows users type something
using an emoticon I see only in the form "(someword)".

It is about time for a Linux version of Skype that will be more inline with
the current Windows version of the program. It will be nice to see how the
development progresses.

In looking at this new version of Skype I also discovered an open source
project called Ghetto Skype at https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype

--
Cheers!

Kevin.