[GTALUG] The New Skype Alpha.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Jul 13 14:48:44 EDT 2016

On 07/13/2016 12:09 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:
> https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Linux-Alpha-and-calling-on-Chrome-amp-Chromebooks/td-p/4434299
>
> Just some initial impressions.
>
> This is on a Fedora 19 systems (don't ask, long story..). I don't have a
> Mic on this system, so I haven't made any test calls yet.
>

> Packaging:
> ==========
>
> Packages are 64-bit only... we've been asking and asking, and we get it
> finally, but 32-bit gets nothing. Irony.
>

> Single RPM file. A yum install identified no dependencies (so likely all
> backed in). The old fedora rpms used to actually use the Fedora libraries.
>
> The RPM installs a .repo so yum will automatically pull updates.
> What is arrogant and sneaky is it also installs an AT script which
> automatically imports the GPG key for that repo.
>
> Additionally, and Google Chrome shares this habit, the .repo file isn't in
> the file-list. So it's being dynamically generated at install time.
>

> Logging in:
> ===========
>
> Asks to store the password in A keyring. I can't tell if this the KDE
> key-ring, or the GNOME key-ring. But the FAQ says GNOME... I'm a KDE user.
> Gnome Keyring's dialog also stole focus on the keyboard. Not Skype's
> fault, but annoying.
>
> As I don't use this feature, I clicked cancel and the login continued.
> But it asks every time you login.
>

> https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34656/more-information-about-skype-for-linux-alpha
>

> Settings:
> =========
>
> Going into settings, I see 6 options. 4 for showing content in messaging,
> and 2 drop-downs under privacy.
>
> In the old skype, you could control audio inputs and outputs, and had a
> quick launch button for a test call. All of that seem to just not be
> there.
>
> I find this irksome as there are a lot of fake 'skype call testing
> service' accounts. And I don't want to play in that mine field.
>

> Yes. This is defiantly and Alpha.

I just tried it and I can contact the call testing serviceand it works.
I also ran the web.skype.com chrome version and they look to be the same
and it will also make a call to the test service.

So if your running chrome then you may not need skype-for-linux.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||