[GTALUG] The New Skype Alpha.

scott at ss.org scott at ss.org
Wed Jul 13 12:09:30 EDT 2016

https://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Linux-Alpha-and-calling-on-Chrome-amp-Chromebooks/td-p/4434299

Just some initial impressions.

This is on a Fedora 19 systems (don't ask, long story..). I don't have a
Mic on this system, so I haven't made any test calls yet.

Packaging:
==========

Packages are 64-bit only... we've been asking and asking, and we get it
finally, but 32-bit gets nothing. Irony.

Single RPM file. A yum install identified no dependencies (so likely all
backed in). The old fedora rpms used to actually use the Fedora libraries.

The RPM installs a .repo so yum will automatically pull updates.
What is arrogant and sneaky is it also installs an AT script which
automatically imports the GPG key for that repo.

Additionally, and Google Chrome shares this habit, the .repo file isn't in
the file-list. So it's being dynamically generated at install time.

Logging in:
===========

Asks to store the password in A keyring. I can't tell if this the KDE
key-ring, or the GNOME key-ring. But the FAQ says GNOME... I'm a KDE user.
Gnome Keyring's dialog also stole focus on the keyboard. Not Skype's
fault, but annoying.

As I don't use this feature, I clicked cancel and the login continued.
But it asks every time you login.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34656/more-information-about-skype-for-linux-alpha

Settings:
=========

Going into settings, I see 6 options. 4 for showing content in messaging,
and 2 drop-downs under privacy.

In the old skype, you could control audio inputs and outputs, and had a
quick launch button for a test call. All of that seem to just not be
there.

I find this irksome as there are a lot of fake 'skype call testing
service' accounts. And I don't want to play in that mine field.

Yes. This is defiantly and Alpha.

--
Scott Sullivan