[GTALUG] OwnCloud vs Nextcloud?

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Mon Jul 11 23:03:12 EDT 2016

On 11/07/16 11:44 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:

> | From: Blaise Alleyne via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> | On 11/07/16 10:19 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | > Nextcloud forked OwnCloud last month and made its first release this month.
>
> | However, they'll need a bit of time. As an ownCloud user, I expect to move to
> | NextCloud some time, but not today or tomorrow -- maybe later in 2016 or in
> | 2017, as they get things in order.
>
> Yeah.  But what do you think needs to get in order?  Infrastructure?

Well, for example, I went to look at doing an install last week, and they've got
a tarball, but with my ownCloud installs I've got the ownCloud Debian repo
configured. I know there have been issues that the ownCloud community has been
confronting in the best way to provide updates... but I'd rather not be
unpacking *.tar.gz and figuring out whatever NextCloud's unique upgrade process
is every time there's a bug fix or security release. I'd rather wait until they
have their recommending update method / repo situation sorted out, so it's
easier to maintain an installation.

(Admittedly, I spent all of 5 minutes checking this out before deciding to check
back again in a few months -- maybe I've missed something.)

> Is it likely inferior to the ownCloud product that it started with?

I doubt the application itself is inferior, since it's probably identical to the
community edition. More the apt versus tarball type consideration.

> Is it likely that a lot of changes will happen at the start such that
> it is better to wait for things to slow down?

Less of a concern there... my hunch would be that a ton of their effort would be
immediately spent on things *other* than creating a bunch of changes to the
functionality of the program. Plus, it's a lot of the same leading developers.

> Are you waiting for them to shake-down their new processes?

Yeah, more this kind of thing -- I guess just waiting for the dust to settle a
bit? I'm not sure specifically, but I think about OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, or
MySQL/MariaDB -- it's hard to tell in the days preceding a high profile fork
just how it will pan out and when things will stabilize, and when there will be
enough momentum/stability that you can have some confidence you know what the
new thing is and that it has a solid future, or which project has the better
future, etc. I think it's clear from all the defections that NextCloud is the
future over ownCloud, but waiting to see things stabilize...

I'm no expert here. Just a daily ownCloud user and sysadmin (probably soon to be
a daily nextCloud user and sysadmin...).