[GTALUG] OwnCloud vs Nextcloud?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 11 11:44:58 EDT 2016

| From: Blaise Alleyne via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

Thanks for you very useful response.

| On 11/07/16 10:19 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > Nextcloud forked OwnCloud last month and made its first release this month.

| However, they'll need a bit of time. As an ownCloud user, I expect to move to
| NextCloud some time, but not today or tomorrow -- maybe later in 2016 or in
| 2017, as they get things in order.

Yeah.  But what do you think needs to get in order?  Infrastructure?

Is it likely inferior to the ownCloud product that it started with?

Is it likely that a lot of changes will happen at the start such that
it is better to wait for things to slow down?

Are you waiting for them to shake-down their new processes?

| For example, from that blog post ( http://karlitschek.de/2016/06/nextcloud/ ):

| - We no longer do dual-licensing

They have no choice with this one since the only license that gets
them the source is the GPL one.

| - We will no longer require a contributor license agreement from contributors.

Since they cannot dual-license, there is no point in a CLA.

| - The new trademark will be hold by an independent foundation.
| - We no longer do internal development planing behind closed doors. Every=
| thing
| will happen in the open.

Sounds good.  We'll see how it plays out

| These are the kinds of things they've forked over, getting that relations=
| hip
| *right* between a free software project and a corporate sponsor.

Technically, forks of dual-licensed software is a Good Thing for Free
Software fans.

| > - I cringe at PHP.  Especially since I'd like to expose my
| >   installation to the internet.
|
| PHP isn't inherently a problem, especially for sure a vibrant and strong project
| like this.

I don't use PHP so my opinion isn't reliable.

Historically it has been too hard to write secure code in PHP.  Or
perhaps it was the culture.  I know that things have gotten better
over the years.  Culture is pretty resistant to change.