[GTALUG] firmware security bug in many computers

ac ac at main.me
Sun Jul 10 02:17:02 EDT 2016

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 18:13:02 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> <http://www.itnews.com.au/news/lenovo-hunts-bios-backdoor-bandits-430208>
> <http://www.itnews.com.au/news/lenovo-thinkpad-zero-day-bypasses-windows-security-430090>
> <https://github.com/Cr4sh/ThinkPwn>
> <https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/LEN-8324>
> This code seems to have originated at Intel.  Lots of machines will
> have this bug.

this is not a bug, it is more of a feature/functionality and as with
anything that makes things easy (as in power management, etc),
it also makes things less secure

I do understand that for LENOVO this is a "bug" as they did not anticipate
that this feature could be used to override their security (infiltrated by
their own ibv )

a quick google search confirms this...
http://phrack.org/issues/65/7.html

not secret/mystical much...