[GTALUG] firmware security bug in many computers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jul 9 18:13:02 EDT 2016

<http://www.itnews.com.au/news/lenovo-hunts-bios-backdoor-bandits-430208>
<http://www.itnews.com.au/news/lenovo-thinkpad-zero-day-bypasses-windows-security-430090>
<https://github.com/Cr4sh/ThinkPwn>
<https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/LEN-8324>

This code seems to have originated at Intel.  Lots of machines will
have this bug.

(SMM == System Management Mode, an almost secret and magical part of
the firmware that can run at any time without the OS or user program
knowing or controlling it.  It has even more privilege than the kernel.)

I expect firmware updates conscientious manufacturers for many many systems.

I have no idea how easy this is to exploit.