[GTALUG] Notebook Computer Recommendations

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Jul 6 12:02:01 EDT 2016

On 07/06/2016 11:39 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 11:06:18PM -0400, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> Take a look at the ASUS G752VT-DH78K
>> · Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK Processor
>> · NVIDIA® GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5
>> · 64GB DDR4 RAM
>> · 1TB HDD + 512GB PCIe SSD
>> · 3D Vapor Cooling
>>
>> Possibly its time to trade in my system.
> So over 17", probably heavy, costs over $3000, and is only 1920x1080.
> I think that doesn't qualify as 'Must be really good to be worth lugging
> around a 17"'
>
> Nice game machine, terrible battery life I suspect, and heavy and
> expensive.

That kind of poses an interesting question.
If you're looking for a high performance system that you can take on the
road that is one thing.
If you're looking for a portable system you can use as a workstation now
and then that is another thing.
If the thing is FAST and LOTS of ram then your into gamer systems or
something not much lighter than an Osborne.

1920x1080 ends up with 129.58 pixels/inch which is not that bad until
you run the video out to your 20+" external screen.

I have used most of the major brands over the years and found in the
last few years that ASUS seems to be doing a good job of building nice
laptops.
I have been using an ASUS zenbook prime for something like 5 years now
and it still is performing well where most others have started to pack
it in after a couple of years.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||