[GTALUG] Notebook Computer Recommendations

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 6 11:43:49 EDT 2016

On 2016-07-05 23:22, CLIFFORD ILKAY via talk wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am in the market for a laptop with the following specs.
>
> Supports at least 32GB of RAM. 64GB would be better if the premium is
> not too high. If the memory is not maxed out, it should be a matter of
> adding more sticks rather than throwing away what it already has
> installed. (I intend to run a bunch of virtual machines on this machine.)
>
> At least 1920x1080 display. 3k or 4k would be "nice to have" but not
> essential.
>
> 13" to 15" display would be fine. A 17" machine had better be
> exceptional for me to consider having to lug something that big around.
<snip>
> Any recommendations besides what I have mentioned?

The System76 Serval matches those criteria pretty well, except for
weight (3.4 kilos!): https://system76.com/laptops/serval

Up to 64GB RAM
1920x1080 in 15" or 17"
i7 6700 or 6700k
Geforce 970M or 980M

It looks like a beast.

A friend has used their laptops and desktops for a few years now and I'm
pretty certain my next system will be from them. I've heard that their
warranty/support is exceptionally good in the event that you need it too.

Cheers, Jamon