[GTALUG] Fedora 24 Upgrade - Flawless 4k Support

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jul 5 20:23:41 EDT 2016

| From: CLIFFORD ILKAY via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| One oddity was that try as I might, I could not get a USB key created via
| Unetbootin in Fedora 23 to boot the Fedora 24 netinstall image so I had to
| burn a CD and boot from that. I had previously used Unetbootin to create a
| Fedora 24 Beta Live bootable device with the same key and it had worked.

The normal way of making a Fedora USB stick is to dd the .iso directly
onto the stick.  As in:
	time sudo dd if=whatever.iso of=/dev/sdg bs=16M oflag=direct
This stick can be used to install on UEFI or MBR systems (but be sure
to boot it in the same mode as you wish to install).

The advantage of Unetbootin is that resulting live system can have
a persistent writeable filesystem.  But it is finicky.  Fedora also
has a (finicky) Live USB Creator.

If you are doing a UEFI install, you needed to have booted the install
medium in UEFI mode.  I don't know if Unetbootin or Live USB Creator can
produce a UEFI-bootable stick.