[GTALUG] Intel i7-6700 vs Xeon E3-1230 v5 --> 65W vs 80W ??

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 4 15:04:45 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 02:51:57PM -0400, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> It would be kind of scary to think that the Intel server processors are
> just failed consumer products.

Well the dies have variations.  They have chosen a different requirement
for the i7 than the E3.  Servers usually have better cooling design,
so 80W is no big deal.

It is just as likely a chip with a broken ECC memory controller could
end up as a lower end i7 or even i5 chip.

> Does that mean that they are also turning off the ECC in the I7?
> What about the ECC in the cache( I know some processors carry ECC
> through the cache but not sure about Intel )?

Yes they would be just turning off ECC support.  Internally I am pretty
sure even the i7 runs with ECC on the cache.

--
Len Sorensen