[GTALUG] another little computer: the kangaroo

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jan 29 01:16:04 UTC 2016

I bought one of these little computers:
<http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/InFocus-Kangaroo-Signature-Edition-Mobile-Desktop/productID.328660500>
If you are a student you an get 10% off of the $149.

I bought mine at newegg for $130 but the price changes regularly.

I'm typing this from a live Fedora stick on this processor.  The screen is
3840x2160 at 30 -- the best mode for this display and pretty good for an
Atom.

The CPU is an Intel Atom x5-z8500.  I don't really understand the naming
scheme.

Scott pointed out that the Intel specs for this processor don't mention
the VT-I feature.  That scared me.
<http://ark.intel.com/products/85474/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8500-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-2_24-GHz>

Here are the flags from /proc/cpuinfo:

fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology
nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes
rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erm

As I understand it, vmx means it supports VT-I.  Some of the other
flags have to do with virtualization too.

BTW, note that it supports AES-NI, something that the Haswell Celeron
and Pentium don't do.

Although this doesn't have ethernet, it has a single USB 3.0 port.  I've
used a USB 3.0 hub to connect a gigabit ethernet dongle and the Fedora
live stick.