[GTALUG] little Android set-top boxes with HDMI in

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Jan 27 13:44:35 UTC 2016

Nice android box.
Well at least you know it will boot and run linux.
The question would be is it better to extend it with some custom apps or
hack it to run a standard distribution?

For me the deal ends in 03days.
:(

Has anybody used geekbuying?

On 01/27/2016 01:30 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Scott brought his Tronsmart Pavo M9 to the last GTALUG meeting.
> <http://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-pavo-m9>
>
> This looks like one of many Android TV boxes.  But it has a unique
> feature: it has HDMI-in as well as out.
>
> So, Scott, how's the hacking going?
>
> I ask because there seems to be a very good deal on these for the next
> 3.666 days:
> <http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-Pavo-M9-4K-TV-BOX-Android-4-4-2-Mstar-MSO9180D1R-1GB-8G-802-11-b-g-n-LAN-H-265-USB3-0-HDMI-347691.html>
> US$49.99.  Free shipping (slowly, from China).
>
> This is based on the MSTAR MSO9180D1R chip.  There is a theoretically
> better box based on this chip (and also with HDMI in), the
> Zido X9.  It has 2G of RAM (vs 1G) and might have better I/O (I haven't
> checked).  But it seems to be ~US$120.00.
>
> I guess (without making any attempt) that hacking on these cheap Android
> boxes is more trouble than it is worth.  Especially since hacking on cheap
> Windows boxes is so much easier (at least the ones with 64-bit UEFI).  But
> nothing else that I know of has HDMI in.
>
> Scott: can you summarize what you've learned about the box and how you
> feel about it so far?

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||