[GTALUG] Thunderbird weirdness

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jan 18 17:02:37 UTC 2016

| From: Malgosia Askanas <maskanas at pair.com>

| What do you think could be causing a message I received, whose source looks
| like this:

As a user of a plain-text Mail User Agent, I'm an innocent bystander in
the fights between GUI MUAs.

I would have a deep look at the headers of the messages.  I bet that there
is some misunderstanding between the two ends.  For example, your mail had
this header:

Lots of mail is still encoded in other charsets.  For example Windows-12*
(* means some digits that I don't remember).  Confusion can lead to lots
of funny results.

You could look at the raw message but that has a bit of a learning curve.
I bet those A characters are really part of some magic character sequence,
starting with a byte >= 128 or < 32.